Tuesday, March 9, 2010

Marie Antoinette


Here is a letter that Marie Antoinette wrote to her mother directly after becoming the queen of France after Louis XV died of smallpox May 10, 1774.

CHOISY, May 14, 1774

Madame, my very dear mother:

Count Mercy [the Austrian ambassador to France] has doubtless informed you of the details of our misfortune. Happily his cruel malady left the king fully conscious to the last moment, and his end was very edifying. The new king seems to have gained the heart of the people. Two days before his grandfather's death he had two hundred thousand francs distributed to the poor, which produced a fine effect. Since the late king's death he has worked constantly, and replies with his own hand to the ministers, whom he is not able to see yet, and to many other letters. One thing is certain; he has a taste for economy, and his greatest anxiety is to make his peo ple happy. In short, his eagerness to learn is equal to his need of information, and I trust that God will bless his good will.

The public are looking for many changes just now. But the king has confined himself to sending away that creature to a convent and driving from court all connected with her. The king owed this example to the people of Versailles, who at the time of the catastrophe attacked Madame de Mazarin, one of the most humble domestics of the favorite. I am often urged to preach clemency to the king toward a num ber of corrupt souls who have been up to much evil during the last few years. . . .

They have just come to forbid me to visit my Aunt Ade laide, who has a high fever and pain in her loins ; they fear smallpox. I tremble and dare not think of the consequences. It is terrible for her to pay so speedily for the sacrifice she has made [in nursing the late, king]. I am delighted that Marshal Lascy was pleased with me. I confess, dear mamma, that I was much affected when he took leave of me, as I thought how rarely it happened that I saw people of my own country, particularly those who have the additional happiness of approaching you. . . .

The king has left me, as queen, free to fill the vacant positions in my household. I took pleasure in according a mark of attention to the people of Lorraine by select ing Abbe Sabran as my first almoner [a person chosen to distribute charitable funds], - an upright man of exalted birth and already appointed to the bishopric of Nancy, which has just been created.

Although it pleased God to cause me to be born to the station I occupy to-day, I cannot but wonder at the dispen sation of Providence, who chose me, the youngest of your children, for the finest kingdom of Europe. I feel more than ever all that I owe to the affection of my august mother, who has been at such pains and trouble to secure this beautiful position for me. I have never so longed to be able to throw myself at her feet, kiss her, show her my whole soul, and let her see how it is filled with respect, love, and gratitude. . . .

[The king here adds in his own hand:]

I am very glad to have an opportunity, my dear mamma, to express my love and attachment. I would that I might have your advice in these days which are so full of embar rassment. I should be delighted to be able to satisfy you, and to prove in that way the affection and gratitude that I owe you for granting me your daughter, with whom I could not be better satisfied.

[The queen then closes : ]

The king would not let my letter go without adding a word for himself. I am sensible that he might have been expected to write a letter of his own, but I beg that my dear mamma will excuse him in view of the great number of things he has to occupy him and also a little on account of his natural timidity and shyness. You can see, dear mamma, by what he says at the end, that while he is fond enough of me he does not spoil me with insipid compliments.

I wish I could know what he said!  It's interesting that she refers to him as timid and shy.  Their marriage was not consummated for 7 years because of that shyness.

No comments:

Post a Comment