Monday, March 22, 2010

The Princess and the Pea Soup





Last weekend, I illustrated my picture book entitled The Princess and the Pea Soup. It's a retelling of the classic by Hans Christian Andersen. In my version, the princess finds the pea and instead of complaining about her back ache, she plants the pea which becomes a pea plant. She harvests the pea and then makes pea soup which she gives out to the hungry.

In the illustrations were mixed media: watercolor paint, pen and collage. It was incredibly engaging and I hope to do another project soon.

Making art in the presence of children has its challenges though. They always seem to need snacks and of course they want to make art too. So I tried to set them all up with paper, water, brushes and paint. It was the stopping and starting for meals and attempting to keep the house tidy while doing this project that plain wore me out!

No comments:

Post a Comment