Wednesday, July 7, 2010

Reading Partners

It was so terribly hot yesterday yet the kids ages: 9, 6, 5, 3, and 1.5 were a little wild or shall I say, very energetic: jumping around, running after one another.  It was my first day with the whole troop alone, I'm watching my nephew for a couple of weeks.  He is actually very mellow but my 4 girls can be quite a handful.  Anyway, I puzzled over how I would calm them down without TV. So I said, "Okay, now let's have reading time.  Everyone find a partner."  Amazingly, they all chose a partner, sat down and started to read to one another!!!  They were all suddenly very calm and very engaged in their books: "Where the Sidewalk Ends,"  "Captain Cat" by Syd Hoff, "Daisy says Coo."  It was a wonderful moment.  While they read, I made dinner.

No comments:

Post a Comment