Sunday, February 14, 2010

Valentines



HAPPY ST. VALENTINE'S DAY TO EVERYBODY OUT THERE!

Children love holidays and festivals because celebrations are important in and out of the classroom. My students were always begging me to let them decorate the classroom for a party. Principals don't always approve of "partying teachers." So one way to get around the administrative obstacle is to have Publishing Parties! And these kind of parties can happen at least once a month or every time a unit (big or small) has been completed.

Valentine's Day has always been one of my favorite days of the year. I remember there was a Valentine's Day poetry contest in my local newspaper. My mother would always encourage us to submit our work and because the process was so enjoyable, we would. We'd sit around the dining room table coloring, cutting and gluing collage, and working out little poems. Our entries would often win for our age groups -- which mustn't have been too difficult. The prize would probably be a little cake from the local bakery or perfume from the pharmacy.

Two of my entries were:

1) I give you my heart my dear
and believe me, I'm sincere

2) Pink hearts, yellow hearts, orange hearts, blue,
All put together all just for you!

I'd write a poem now but I need total quiet in order to concentrate. Therefore, I must go.

No comments:

Post a Comment